Plant Care Monstera
- Monsteras do not want to stay too moist as they will develop yellow leaves
- Water when the plant is dry down to your second knuckle.
- In a pot larger than 10″ in diameter, use a dowel or stick to measure the moisture—stick the dowel to the bottom of the pot, leave it there for a few minutes, pull out to see if there is moisture on the bottom of the stick. If dry, water thoroughly.
- Always water until water runs out of the drainage hole. Never leave the plant standing in water.
- Bright to medium light -east or west window is good
- Will grow in a low light situation (north) as well
- In lower light levels it won’t grow as fast and will stay smaller which may be better as this will become an enormous vine eventually
Fertilize every fourth watering (approx. once per month)
I live in the northern United States and only fertilize from March through September
Use a balanced fertilizer
I use a water-soluble 20-20-20
I use one-third to one-half the amount recommended on the packaging for houseplants
- This plant can become monstrously large, so make sure you have a place for it
- It is toxic to pets
- It may need some kind of support as it is a vine and can become large